Reporting on the state of constant change here at FLCH
Likely if you were here for dinner last Friday (April 22nd), you noticed one of the many changes on tap in the Cider House. We introduced table service, as opposed to our former "pub style" service where one wrestled to the bar to order. Over the past year, we've come to terms with the melding of Tasting Room-Bar and Restaurant, and are more ready to live up to it... largely by dealing with seemingly mundane details like how to submit orders to the chef.
As said by one of our new staff members when interviewing for the Cider House "...it seemed like farmers trying to figure out how to do hospitality."
Yup. Let's not pretend it wasn't. But hear ye, hear ye, we are up to the Challenge! After being blessedly overrun all last season, we took the winter to reconsider and revamp. And now, we're introducing Table Service, a new menu pending, a fantastic executive chef, and an expanded, super talented staff.
Meet our staff- tireless veterans and earnest new hires
Gratitude floweth from Garrett and myself (Melissa) to those who've now put in a full year with us and are signed up for another! They know... it all. And we welcome with such open arms... 6 new staff to bring us to a total of 15 Finger Lakes Cider House/Good Life Farmers. Whew! Introducing in order of time spent working here, and with titles as requested by the staff (spice added by us):
- Jimmy (co-Cider Maker, Good Life Cider)
- Teddy (distro/housemade pickles et al/assistant bookkeeper)
- Matt (GLF High Tunnel Manager/Farm Assistant/Music Booking/Sign Artist)
- Brud Holland (consulting Exec. Chef/chef @ Fox Run/Finger Lakes Made owner-chef)
- Chris (Tasting Bar staff/Black Diamond assistant Cider Maker/orchardist/nursery-man)
- Alexis (erstwhile Tasting Bar sub/nursery-woman/Black Diamond crew)
- Silene (Tasting Bar staff/potter for whatever Cider House asks/singer)
- Audrey (wandering artist/Char and Cheese Board Monger/Tasting Bar staff)
- Adriana (Tasting Bar,but sadly, graduating and cutting out/dog lover)
- Joseph (Tasting Bar/soil scientist going to PSU/farmer)
- Brad (conversation mapper/Tasting Bar/watercolor artist)
- Hannah (Tasting Bar staff/forage guide/yogi)
- Jenny (massage therapist-in-training/Tasting Bar/gets stuck on dishes)
- Hope (frequent sub in Tasting Bar/multi tasker extraordinaire/fiddler)
- Valerie (new FLCH cook/Tasting Bar on occasion/engaged!)
Our first Spring 2016 all-staff training was last night, Wednesday. Herein follows a tiny photo diary of the conversation maps (re: touchy feely problem solving with results) and trainings by all 5 of our collaborating cideries: Good Life Cider, Black Diamond Cider, Redbyrd Orchard Cider, Eve's Cidery and South Hill Cider.
And to be comprehensive... new hires on the Good Life Farm.